Meet Dr. Bell
Reginald C.W. Bell M.D., F.A.C.S. is the founder of the Institute of Esophageal and Reflux Surgery. He has had extensive experience performing minimally invasive procedures on the esophagus and stomach with over 25 years in practice.
He has worked with leaders from around the country to develop a society dedicated to foregut diseases: The American Foregut Society. The vision of AFS is to advocate personalized treatment strategies for patients with foregut diseases through a collaborative partnership across disciplines. He is interim chair of the board.
Dr Bell has recently accepted a position with Ethicon as Director of Medical Affairs. This is a part time position to allow him to continue his clinical practice, and to bring that clinical expertise to industry to improve patient outcomes.
He is a Board Certified General Surgeon and Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, as well as a member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons, the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, the American Society of General Surgeons, and the American Society of Bariatric Surgeons.
Reginald (Reg) Bell earned undergraduate degrees in Physics and in English Literature at Stanford University in 1976. He then completed a Master’s Degree in the Study of Religion at the University of Virginia, and began work on a Ph.D. in the Study of Religion at Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in 1979. He received his M.D. from Virginia Commonwealth University in 1985. Dr. Bell interned and received his General Surgical training at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver, Colorado, completing as Chief Resident in 1990. In 1990 he entered private practice in Englewood, CO.
- Stanford University: B.S., Physics, 1976; A.B., English Literature, 1976
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville: M.A., Study of Religion, 1979
- Harvard University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences: Doctoral student in Study of Religion, 1979-1981
- Medical College of Virginia: M.D., 1985
- Internship, General Surgery: University of Colorado School of Medicine, 1985-86
- Residency, General Surgery: University of Colorado School of Medicine, 1986-89
- Chief Resident, General Surgery: University of Colorado School of Medicine,1989-1990
- 1984 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- Active Staff, Swedish Medical Center, Englewood, CO
- Assistant Clinical Professor in Surgery, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO
- American Board of Surgery, Certification in General Surgery, 2011-2022
- National Board of Medical Examiners, 1986
- American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgery (SAGES)
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract (SSAT)
- American Society of General Surgeons (past – Governing Board)
- American College of Gastroenterology
To see all publications click here.